Practical ways you can be more organized.
Take control of your life with these easy-to-learn organizational tips.
- Take advantage of your best time: Take on your most difficult work when your energy is at its peak. You’ll stay focused, and you’ll complete tasks with less distraction.
- Filing: Every time you start a new project, create a file folder for it. This is far more efficient than stacking the information somewhere.
- Staple over clip: When filing, staple relevant materials together. Paper clips tend to catch on other papers within a file.
- Avoid over-scheduling: Plan no more than 75% of the day so you will have time to cope with interruptions and other unexpected happenings.
- Turn off the phone and email: They can be distracting when you are facing a tight deadline, and they detract from your mental energy and focus.
- Store like with like: Items used together should be stored together. For example, establish one spot for all your extra toiletries.
- Trash or treasure: Only if you answer yes to any of these questions is it a keeper: Does it work? Do I love it? Have I used it in the last year?
- Stop the subscriptions: Be realistic about your reading. If you find that publications pile up without you findindg the time to read them, unsubscribe.
- The 20/80 wardrobe rule: Most people wear 20% of their wardrobe 80% of the time. Those seldom-worn clothes take up room. If you have not worn it in a year, you never will. Throw it away, donate it, or sell it. Buy one new item you really love.
- Go clear: If you use boxes for storage, label them so you can readily identify what is in them. Clear plastic containers are ideal
- Cotton over plastic: Never store clothing in plastic bags. Plastic keeps clothing from “breathing” and can also cause discoloration. Instead, store in cotton garment bags that light does not penetrate.
For help with your organizing needs, locate an organizer today.