By Susan Stone http://susanstoneorganizing.com/
How much do I love my organizing tools? Let me count the ways! I had a hard time narrowing down my personal list of favorite organizing tools so I decided that I had to limit myself to ten “must-haves” that go above and beyond the call of duty on a regular basis.
This list could go on and on – but here are my top 10:
- Smartphone – This is my hands-down “if you could have one thing on a deserted island” choice. From using the apps for visual time reminders to those that help you get off junk mail my phone is my #1 organizing tool.
- Brother Label Maker – This handy sized label maker is always in my bag (along with extra batteries and tape cartridges). No matter what you need to label – the crisp type gives a professional, clean, and organized look.
- Staples’ ARC Notebook System – This note-taking and paper calendar system allows you to move pages around with ease and is customizable for your needs.
- Command Hooks – Hang just about anything without leaving a hole in the wall. Great for going vertical, I love to have a selection of sizes on hand.
- NeatDesk Desktop Scanner and Digital Filing System – If you’re interested in making your life paper-free, this is a worthwhile investment.
- Banker’s Boxes – Essential for sorting items, easy to move and store, and great as a temporary hanging file holder.
- Colored sticky notes and black sharpies – I love using the bright colored stickies for labels, reminders, and so much more.
- Matching velvet hangers – Using these makes not only makes a closet look more organized, but their thinness gives you more space. I use black for my current clothes and red ones for new items that I’m still considering so that they grab my attention before the “return by” date hits.
- 3-ring binders and page protectors – These are wonderful for storing and organizing recipes, stuff torn out of magazines, warranties, and other bits and pieces of info. The page protectors are great forholding onto odd-size papers.
- Ziploc Plastic Bags – From snack size to XXL ventilated storage bags, these are great for corralling stuff everywhere – from purses to workshops.
A graduate of Wellesley College and Simmons College (Masters in Business Administration and Masters in Social Work) and Immediate Past President of the New England Chapter of the National Association of Professional Organizers.
Susan holds Specialist Certificates in ADHD and Hoarding through the Institute for Challenging Disorganization and specializes in working with the chronically disorganized, people with ADHD and all who long for a clutter-free life.